Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 5

08.24.09 - Day 5: Paint it Forward, Pay it Backwards

It's the little things. A friend and I started a social experiment last year that I like to call "Thanks a latte!" It started out as Coffee Friday where we would meet every Friday at Starbucks just to end the week on a good note and take turns buying the other coffee. Then, it turned into buying the person behind us a coffee, which I like to think of as "Paying it Backwards." This is still something I do on Friday mornings when I drive thru, hoping that one small act of kindness will jumpstart a caffeinated chain of goodwill...or at the very least, put the person behind me in a better mood.

Today was one of those days where I really needed that extra shot, so I stopped for a Monday cup o' joe. The girl at the window handed me a gift card and said that when I drove thru last Friday, the person behind me couldn't get over how nice it was that I bought her coffee...and since there was no one behind her in the drive thru, she bought me a giftcard to say thanks. Since I'm somewhat a regular, the barista told her it would get to me if she left it with them...and it did. The funny thing is that this has happened before...someone reciprocating my "Paying it backwards" with a "thanks a latte" of their own.  It's amazing what can happen when you tempt human generosity.

Even though I wasn't expecting anything in return from the person behind me, I couldn't help but notice how much "warmer" my coffee was today. It just goes to show that sometimes it's the little things in life that mean the most...even if only for a moment.


1 comment:

Rachelle said...

i ♥ that!!! that is so you. you have always been so giving. you are the bomb diggaty!